This is a collection of thoughts and statements about things that annoy me. I am a big, angry man. Hear me roar, or piss off and give me peace.

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Doesn't work like that...

In the words of the irritating bastard on that advert on the telly. I am, of course, referring to the internet.

The BBC Have Your Say is apparently populated by fuckwits who have no idea how the internet works. It's almost as bad as the Grauniad for people talking about things they know nothing about.

The topic which has caught my eye today, is the beating up of small children, by other small children, which is filmed and then posted on the interweb. Apparently this will be featured on Panorama, on Monday 30th July. Panorama used to be an interesting documentary to watch, but these days seems to be more of a mockumentary.

Anyway, back to HYS... Some of the knuckle-dragging inhabitants of Auntie's closet have come out with the following screamers:

"There are rules in broadcasting, and videos on the internet are just that."

Yes, and you must be this -> <- clever to use the internet... You have failed.

"This is another example of how the internet needs to be policed in exactly the same way as any other publishing media."

Err, but they're showing these clips on Panorama...

"I do not agree with censorship,but I feel that the IT managers could exercise some control over juvenile violence on these sites."

Perhaps they could use their mystical RegExp powers to stop kids fighting, end poverty, make it rain less in Edinburgh...

"Somebody, think of the children"

OK, the last one was me, but you get the idea.

And as a means to a quick fix -

"Only, say, the 1st 3 or 4 postings from a new member would need to be pre-checked if they had a "trusty" system as I suggested in my 12:26 posting. If they can't do that then their business model needs a rethink."

Do you really think people won't get round that? Dolt.

"If there was no site to show theses video clips
there would be no point in these Muppets filming them."

And if youtube went away... Another site would appear just as quickly - indeed, there are lots of video hosting sites out there already, it's just youtube is probably the most recognisable by BBC reading technoweenies.

One or two clued in people have noted that if Police time is to be spent on this, then perhaps it should be on the perpetrators of the assault, not on "policing" the internet, pissing into the wind, and telling the tides to recede. At least the perpetrators are providing evidence against themselves, and therefore making the job of the police a bit easier.

I could probably ramble on about this nonsense all night, but I shan't. I'll leave it at "Hands off my internet!"

No comments: