This is a collection of thoughts and statements about things that annoy me. I am a big, angry man. Hear me roar, or piss off and give me peace.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

It's free because it's crap

Today I had to suffer free software. Because it's free, it must be good, innit?

WRONG!

I had made the mistake of being caught installing phpBB, and someone wanted a new feature - not supported with the base phpBB install, so I had to apply a "mod".

I downloaded the mod, and looked for the install script.

*** What install script.

So I looked for the howto / readme

*** No howto or readme

So I looked in the mod file

*** Nothing obvious in the mod file

So I searched the interweb for a howto.

- Apparently I have to manually search for bits of php code, and insert or modify them as appropriate by myself... How the hell is this a scaleable solution? I then spent 30 minutes editing a number of files by hand, with no easy roll back, no guarantee the mod would work.

Well, it's true what they say - you get what you pay for. Fuck all for fuck all.

It's only free if your time is worthless.

No comments: