This is a collection of thoughts and statements about things that annoy me. I am a big, angry man. Hear me roar, or piss off and give me peace.

Monday, October 24, 2005

Quiet Carriage

I was on a GNER service from London to Edinburgh (Waverley, obviously) a couple of months ago. Since someone else booked the tickets, we were travelling in standard accommodation. However, they had decided the quiet coach was acceptable. Huzzah, thought I. I shall have peace for my long and arduous journey from King's Cross to Waverley.

Little did I know.

At Darlington, a single mother and her 3 brats got on, and sat slightly further up the carriage from us. These brats were anything but quiet, running up and down the carriage, shrieking when their mother went off to the buffet car / facilities / whatever, I really don't care.

I have no interest in talking to you, or telling your family to shut the fuck up. It's not difficult, It's a quiet coach (at the end of the day, I'd be annoyed by that behaviour on any coach on any train) it's not rocket surgery that people might expect it to be quiet in there.

The noise continued all the way to Waverley.

Suffice to say, the next time I travelled GNER, I booked myself, and went First Class. One is less likely to suffer the riff-raff in First. Although, you do then get peasants who don't understand the terms and conditions on upgrade tickets sitting in your coach.

Bah! One is not amused.

No comments: